Saturday, January 10, 2009


For some unknown reason, after I finished all my chores yesterday, I put on my DVD of "North and South", the TV mini based on John Jakes' novel. I don't know if I just wanted to hear the beautiful theme music, see the actors, relive the lovely Charleston, SC scenery--been there several times, actually walked the grounds of the plantation that served as Mont Royal--not sure what it was. But as soon as the theme began and the opening credits started rolling, I was transported. It is such a dramatic and moving story about the bond of friendship between two men through major trials and tribulations, including war (in this instance, the Civil War), and how true friendship and loyalty can transcend such situations. I got hooked again, watched the first two episodes, and want to continue through each series again. The trilogy of books by John Jakes were stories I could thoroughly lose myself in, not great literature, but vastly entertaining. The writers of this first series, at least, kept most of the original story (that of Orry and George) intact; other changes were made that I don't agree with that affected the two series that follow, but that's always the case with books made into film. I still find this mini excellently done and well worth the time to watch and re-watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment