Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Over the past several days, I have actually sat and watched several movies that have come out on DVD--don't go out to the theater that much anymore for a movie. Just the way things are right now; we generally just wait until the flicks become available on DVD (and no, I don't do Netflix either, at least not yet).

First up, saw the latest installment in the adventures of Harry Potter--"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" --and I must say, these movies definitely get darker and darker as they go along, but my kids (who are HUGE fans) tell me this is the way it should be. I can see why they are popular (just like the books); for me, it was enjoyable but not thrilling. The effects were excellent, the kids have matured in their roles and are very likeable, plenty of magic and mayhem, but I guess not really being into the whole Harry Potter thing, I can't say I've was totally blown away by it. I have enjoyed all the movies, but probably liked the first two best. I feel the same about the books, read the first two and that was enough for me.

My wife and I had wanted to see "Julie and Julia" ever since it was released, so we finally rented it. We thoroughly enjoyed this one. The two stories--Julia Child learning to cook while living in 1950's Paris with her husband, and Julie Powell, in present day New York, cooking her way through Child's French cookbook while coping with her life's issues--were quite involving, sometimes humorous, and very foody. Meryl Streep did an amazing job portraying Child, Stanley Tucci was fun as her husband, and Amy Adams was cute and sympathetic. Almost too leisurely paced, it did tell the stories well and the characters were remarkably realized. Filming in New York and Paris definitely was a plus. The film did not disappoint us at all, except perhaps with being a little slow at times.

"Star Trek" was our third film recently viewed, and it was quite enjoyable. Great special effects, decent storyline, good action, and it was fun to see Kirk and Spock and company all as young adults and how they came to meet and work together. Chris Pine did very well as the young Kirk, and it was a blast that Leonard Nimoy was on hand to portray the older Spock, and was in fact a major part of the story. I did not even recognize Winona Ryder as Spock's mother, which was a surprise. A very appealing film that I would watch again. Great set up for further adventures that will not tamper with the original TV storylines. I was never a huge Trek fan, but did enjoy the original series and some of the films.

No comments:

Post a Comment