Thursday, May 19, 2011

Took my wife to see the new film version of "Jane Eyre" for Mother's Day. Although she enjoyed it immensely, something about it bothered me, but I can't quite figure out what. Maybe it was the leads, they just didn't seem to click. The actress playing the adult Jane was very good, but didn't think much of the actor playing Rochester. The film was quite beautifully filmed, the scenes of the moors were stunning, the sets and costumes were well done, the script was intelligently adapted. Judi Dench was wonderful as Mrs. Fairfax (although the role was definitely beefed up for Dench), and Jamie Bell was quite good as St. John Rivers. There were, of course, things left out that were in other filmed versions of the book, but hey, you can't leave everything in or the length would be ridiculous. I'd say that although I think my favorite version is still the Susannah York/George C. Scott one with Joan Fontaine/Orson Welles a close second, this one is worth viewing. Overall, this is a fine film adaptation of an enduring classic novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment