Friday, July 22, 2011

AWAIT YOUR REPLY by Dan Chaon, 2009.

A book I thought I was going to enjoy more than I did. Three seemingly unrelated stories become bound together in this story of identity theft, trust, and loyalty. Miles Cheshire is searching for his twin brother, whom he hasn't seen in twenty years; Lucy Lattimore leaves town with her teacher; and Ryan Schuyler, after receiving some shocking news decides to remake himself. This was intriguing and totally chilling in terms of the ease with which someone can disappear and steal identities and become other people, but at times I found it very confusing and meandering. Lots of references to Internet and Facebook, etc., the characters were interesting, and I wanted to know more, but by the end I was past caring what happened to them--I think because I got lost somewhere within the multiple storylines. Maybe I just didn't quite get it. Anyway, not a very satisfying read for me, but someone else might enjoy this type of story--part thriller, part drama, part mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment